Career Opportunity – Head of Marketing & Sales
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an experienced marketing and sales leader to develop, execute and manage the sales and marketing function for Riversdale Resources. This includes planning and implementing effective sales and marketing strategies, negotiations and execution of sales contracts, creating effective working relationships with customers in Asia, India, Europe and other geographies, and contributing to positive momentum being developed around the project both internally amongst staff and externally amongst potential customers.
- Drive Marketing and Sales annual and strategic planning to be aligned with the company’s business strategies.
- Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans for the Marketing and Sales department.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical marketing and sales information to the CEO and Board and make strategic recommendations.
- Measure Riversdale’s sales performance against both the annual budget and its long-term strategy.
- Oversee long-term sales and marketing budgetary planning, forecasting and cost management in alignment with Riversdale Resources’ overall strategic plan.
- Recruit and develop a motivated marketing team
Marketing and Sales:
- Develop and implement Cost and Freight (CFR) and Free On Board (FOB) sales contracts.
- Negotiate and execute sales contracts for Riversdale’s production volume.
- Develop and implement marketing engagement models for Riversdale’s equity partners.
- Keep abreast of industry pricing methods and advise Executive Team and Board of Directors on pricing strategy. Execute the agreed-to pricing strategy.
- Advise Executive Team and Board of Directors on customer volume allocation strategy for Riversdale’s products. Execute the agreed allocation strategy.
- Develop and implement a set of metrics that drive spot sales decision-making and allow performance to be measured.
- Develop and execute the Riversdale ocean freight strategy and oversee the implementation of an effective shipping function
- Oversee the implementation of robust risk management protocols for the ocean freight portfolio.
- Oversee the implementation of a technical engagement strategy with customers.
- Oversee the implementation of an effective industry analysis function.
- Ensure regular face-to-face customer engagement.
- Explore options to supply Riversdale product into India and other markets as appropriate.
- Foster a culture of genuine relationships with equity partners, customers and potential customers.
- Instill a culture of close engagement between marketing, port and mine operations.
- Provide relevant information to business, supervisors, co-workers, and employees.
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships across the business and with individuals.
- Coach and mentor team members.
- Lead and contribute to a strong Safety, Health and Environment (SH&E) culture.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Full Time, Permanent
LANGUAGE OF WORK:
Annual salary – range is $150,000 - $200,000, depending on experience. Based on 40-hour work week. Annual performance-based bonus of up to 50% of base pay, depending on performance results.
- Extended Health and Dental
- Pension savings of up to 7% of annual base pay
- Reimbursement for travel expenses
- Laptop computer and cell phone will be provided
LOCATION(s) OF WORK:
12331 – 20th Avenue, Blairmore, Alberta T0K 0E0
Bachelor’s Degree in economics, marketing, business, finance or supply chain. A related post-graduate degree would be considered an asset.
EXPERIENCE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of 10 years working in a sales and marketing role in a bulk commodities environment
- A minimum of 10 years working in large enterprise marketing bulk commodities internationally, particularly in the Asian and Indian region
- Significant previous experience in a similar role at one of the large mining houses, preferably in metallurgical coal
- Demonstrated experience and success in:
- securing offtake contracts with customers for bulk commodities businesses in the pre-production phase (preferably in metallurgical coal)
- generating customer interest and momentum around a project in the pre-production phase
- negotiating commercially advantageous sales contracts in a bulk commodities environment (preferably in metallurgical coal)
- CFR sales, spot sales and pricing for metallurgical coal
- developing and executing ocean freight strategy within a bulk commodities environment
- managing the sales administration function within a bulk commodity environment
- the ability and interest to work in a collaborative, collegiate manner with colleagues in all functions across the business
- the ability to communicate effectively on commercial matters with customers and traders
- direct line management of a substantial sales and shipping team
- commercial drafting of sales and shipping agreements within a bulk commodities environment
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so. Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.