Career Opportunity – Senior Advisor Permitting and Planning
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager Safety, Health and Environment, the Senior Advisor Permitting and Planning is responsible for ensuring all applicable government required permits and approvals are obtained in a timely and effective manner. This involves identifying needs, processing applications and permissions, and effectively managing all related data. The incumbent will pro-actively engage with municipal, provincial, and federal regulators as well as Riversdale stakeholders throughout mine construction and into operations.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify all applicable municipal, provincial, and federal permits required to construct and operate a metallurgical coal mine in Alberta
- Schedule the timely application of permit requests and ensure temporal permits are renewed on time
- Develop and manage a permit and commitment register
- Work with the Projects and Operations Readiness team to communicate anticipated and known permit and commitment conditions related to construction, commissioning, and operations
- Work closely with the Project’s scheduling team to ensure permit and approval timelines are accurately captured in the project execution plan and master schedule
- Develop medium- and long-range plans for permit clearances across the Project footprint
- Assist the Projects team in scheduling specific disturbance activities to comply with environmental legislation
- Ensure that commitments are well understood throughout the organization, resulting in effective and timely planning and execution
- Develop and maintain an excellent data base of permit related documents and information
- Support internal progress reporting and external compliance reporting
- Report to regulators on Project progression in relation to specific permits, approvals, and project conditions
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences or Project Management or related disciplines
- Professional Designation in environmental sciences or environmental engineering preferred
- 10+ years of directly related experience in permitting and planning large construction projects and mining
- Experience successfully engaging directly with regulators
- Experience working with regional Indigenous communities
- Expert knowledge of provincial and federal environmental legislation and understanding of industry standards
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office and SharePoint, ArcGIS, and environmental management software)
- Valid driver’s license with clean drivers abstract
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resumé online. We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so. Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.