Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to develop a steelmaking coal mine in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada, referred to as the Grassy Mountain Project. We are currently in the permitting application phase of the project and are planning an open-cut mine, targeting 4.5 million tonnes of hard coking coal per year over a minimum 25-year mine life and 385 full-time positions.
We are currently seeking a detail-oriented Project Engineer to join our growing team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this position will be responsible for ensuring the successful execution of the Grassy Mountain engineering projects. The Project Engineer’s immediate duties will include the coordination and management of multiple engineering consultants while ensuring the project needs of Riversdale’s Project, Maintenance and Operations groups are effectively evaluated and integrated into the design. This role requires environmental and safety compliance issues to be comprehensively defined and addressed during the design.
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate must be a flexible and adaptable team player who has had exposure to technical risk assessment and mitigation and has strong communication and client service skills. We are looking for someone who is experienced and comfortable working with the complexities and challenges associated with large-scale industrial projects.
The Project Engineer’s role will continue through the tendering, pre-construction, construction, commissioning, and project close-out periods.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and monitor third-party consultants’ progress
- Review status reports and inform the Engineering Manager of project status
- Provide technical support for resolution and tracking of project issues
- Ensure technical accuracy and compliance with engineering design per contract scopes of work
- Liaise and coordinate with Riversdale’s project technical disciplines
- Assist in preparation of engineering schedule and ensure all activities take place on or ahead of scheduled milestone dates
- Assist with preparation of bid packages and procurement
- Assist in the preparation of monthly owner project status reports
- Prepare, review, track, and distribute RFIs (Requests for Information) during engineering, construction and commissioning phases of the project
- Assist with planning and managing site logistics and temporary infrastructure
- Maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Attend and actively participate in project meetings
- Define the scope of new projects, setting goals and participating in the development of project and construction execution plans
- Build strong, positive owner/consultant and owner/contractor relationships based on regular and clear communication
- Monitor resource requirements and coordinate staff input as required
- Manage assigned work packages to ensure operations are achieving daily and weekly goals
- Analyze project metrics prepared by the Project Controls team
- Ensure that change management processes are implemented and managed in accordance with project systems and procedures
- Otherwise assist the Engineering Manager, Project Director, and Construction Manager as needed
- Professional Engineer registered in Canada and eligible for registration in Alberta, or a CET designation and membership with ASET.
- Minimum 7 years of project engineering experience in large mining or oil and gas-related capital projects
- Contract administration experience and sound problem-solving skills
- Thorough understanding of contract administration requirements
- Excellent report writing skills
- Proficient computer skills, including; MS Office, AutoCAD (not required but considered an asset)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to perform duties in a fast-paced, interactive environment
- Excellent critical thinking skills with the ability to assess information, problem-solve and make good decisions
Crowsnest Pass is a mountain community located two hours south of Calgary, Alberta. Crowsnest Pass has a population of 6000 and offers numerous services, including; a 24-hr emergency, acute and continuing care hospital, schools from kindergarten to grade 12, a sports complex, a championship golf course, major banks / credit union, restaurants and supermarkets. The area is famous for its spectacular mountain vistas and adventure tourism. It is a favorite destination for downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, caving, fly fishing and hunting.
This is a full-time term position, expected to run a minimum of three years, dependent on construction progress. Qualified candidates are asked to create a profile and submit a cover letter and resumé electronically.
We appreciate that it takes time and effort to tailor a cover letter and resumé for a job application and will endeavor to respond to all applicants who do so.
Please note that prior to an offer of employment, all position-required credentials will be verified.